Out of sight but not out of Mind

I wrote yesterday that Joshua would be aware that he was going to respite, as he is just so much more aware of his surroundings than he once was. He was very quiet all morning and more serious than normal, as though he was absorbing the event and his reaction to it. He kept seeking me out, as I was busy preparing, and giving me giant bear hugs and insisting on attention. He was silent most of the hour+ journey and his highlight was finding an apple in the car, which he passed to me and we ate it together – I really love his re-found love of  a crunchy apple.

My husband and I jumped out of the car when we arrived and began to unpack it – his wheelchair and bags – but he made no attempt to get out as he would usually. His keyworker came out to greet him and he gave her a huge grin and walked in with her. He whizzed down the corridor to the lounge to see who was there and I followed him. He knew we were leaving him, he pointed at all of the staff and gave me several more bear hugs. I gave them an update and we discussed his recent seizure pattern, then he went to his bedroom with his key worker to drop off his bag, not giving me a backward glance, so we walked towards the exit. My husband followed him to his room to kiss him goodbye and of course I followed, to find Joshua sitting on his bed in his freshly painted blue bedroom. As I walked away I blew him a kiss and he held his hand up to his mouth to imitate me, I have never seen him do that before.

We were talking to his key-worker at the entrance , sharing holiday tales, when Joshua heard my voice and came running towards me, holding on tight.He watched as we left, standing right by the glass door, flashing his bare tummy at us. He has never watched us leave before, so I guess this is the downside of his increased awareness. Joshua made it very clear that he would rather have come with us and that made me sad of course and very difficult to leave.

I know that he will have fun and enjoy the fuss that they make of him this weekend and Joshua has never been a boy to pine. I know that he loves me but I also know that he lives for the moment, and it will be out of sight and out of mind for him, but I cannot get that sad image out of my mind.

I called last night after 9pm, as I always do before the staff shift change. I was hoping for a cheery story to replace that image but unfortunately : he had refused to eat any tea – which is unheard of for my new greedy son with strong teeth -,  he had taken himself to bed for a half hour nap before tea and he had tumbled in the corridor and landed on his knees. I was told that he had caught his boot on the radiator and that, even though there were three members of staff present, none  had been in time to catch or save him. She told me that he was stunned and did not move for some time and that his poor knobbily knees will bruise. None of these stories helped me to feel better about the start of his respite weekend sadly. I have always been comfortable that we all enjoyed our time apart, but so far it feels more one-sided. I am sure that he will settle in and enjoy it more today and I need to resist the temptation to call back during the day, but to stick to my 9pm routine.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s