My Day Off

After Joshua’s epilepsy scare on Thursday afternoon, I was non-commital about how my day off work might go,  until he woke up on Friday morning. He gave me a big grin as he came downstairs, as if to say ‘We are not beaten Mum, not yet!’. He is so resilient that it made me feel feisty yesterday too,  as though we had fought witha Giant and won. I was his school taxi, as his usual driver called at 7am to say that he had car trouble, but I was happy to deliver and collect him, given the scare he had given everyone in the taxi the day before. There was genuine relief amongst staff to see my beaming boy, dressed in his best Christmas jumper, back at school as if nothing had happened.

My day off got hijacked a bit : I had hoped to have a leisurely swim followed by clearing out the chicken shed as we are now hen-less. But Instead I drove Joshua to school then I took his spare boots to orthotics, based at a neighbouring special school, to be repaired as he is so tough on them. I then drove to the office where I dealt with a rush job that needed to be sorted before the weekend. I was behind my desk for an unexpected two hours before I could come home again, so that was the morning gone.

My husband and I grabbed some lunch, then I had a call from the vet to tell me that I could collect our cat who has been very ill and has been there all week. I changed into my scruffs and had just 25 minutes clearing the hen house, but then I had to change again and back in the car for the 30 minute drive back to school, to be greeted by a very happy Joshua. He gave me a bear hug and together we pushed his wheelchair round to the car. When I got home, I gave him his medication, removed his boots for him and put the Show on the television in Den, warning  his Dad that he was in charge while I collected our recovering cat from the vet. I brought Miracle Cat home and made some tea for Joshua,which he devoured instantly.

At 6.30 we headed out back into town for Christmas Lights Switch On, where the whole town turns out to set Christmas off with late night shopping and mingling, while enjoying the festive light display. It all looked very pretty and we supported a few local causes by taking part in their tombolas. In the old days, pre-Joshua, this was a boozy night as the shops would provide free wine and mince pies and we would end up in the pub playing Find the Cherry in the mince pie to win a free drink, so the double vodkas would be flowing. But these days we had a cup of tea in the methodist church hall and then we had chilli jacket potatoes for our evening meal, while greedy Joshua tucked into a plate of chips for his supper.

We were back home by 9pm and I fed the cat in his spare bedroom quarantine, while the bath ran and then Joshua had a bath and hairwash to warm up. He was tucked up in bed before 10pm and finally I had the chance to sit down and enjoy what was left of my day off work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s