International Day of Happiness

Lots of things made me happy yesterday and I am grateful for all of them:

  • Joshua woke up happily and he started to come downstairs to greet me, he stood at the top of the stares smiling and waving. There can be no better way to start the day of happiness. But to be honest, he has almost always woken up happily, even when he has to be woken up before he is ready, he hesitates for a moment, then will usually smile and say something cheery like ” I like you!”. He greeted his taxi driver and escort in the same happy way as he headed off to school. It would be so much harder waving good bye each morning if I knew he was miserable at school, but he is always keen to go and to make mischief there.
  • I had a productive day at work and that is always satisfying. I was busy enough, without drowning, and I have got a new challenge to work at for the next week, which is testing my brain too, so that makes me happy.
  • I went home for lunch and the sun was shining and we had a quick walk together. Dogs are fabulous pets as they are always pleased to see you and are always grateful for a walk. So it is no wonder that they say owning a dog is good for our mental health, and we have three so you can imagine how happy they make us. They are an important part of our family and I am so lucky that I can go home at lunchtime to take them for a walk.
  • I left work early as I was driving across to Mum’s house, to be there ready for work locally to her the next day. We had organised that Joshua would go to After School Club until my friend was ready to take him home with her overnight. I was rather anxious about that as he might have got cross not to be going home on time, but she rang me in the car to say that he had behaved beautifully, had enjoyed himself, had been charming and had even thanked them as he was leaving! This news made me laugh out loud in the car. I had regular updates and photographs of his evening and so I was reassured that he was behaving himself on his sleepover.
  • Finally I arrived at Mum’s house – the three and a half hour journey with rush hour queues did not make me happy – and we had a lovely evening. My Aunt and Uncle were staying too and we had  a great time catching up and reminiscing too. Later I had a bath then rang home, then I was the first to go to bed.

So while it was not an exceptional day, I am happy with how it all turned out and thankfully , there is not just one day of happiness a year in my life!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s