The House of Lurgy

I felt well enough yesterday to go for my usual ‘sunrise walk’ and as I walked, I took deep breaths of clean, cold fresh air to fill my lungs, in an attempt to empty them of Covid-19. I never see another human being on my early walk and so I was confident that by venturing out this early, that I would not be breaking any isolation rules. I was pleased with myself to walk 4 miles and to be out in the morning sunshine for over an hour. I had not been home long when I heard Joshua moving about upstairs. I went to see him and a very husky, croaky voice asked for ‘Bix’ ( Weetabix), so I obliged and brought him some cereal, mixed with banana, at 7.30 in bed. Given his deep voice, I decided to complete a Lateral Flow Test on him to prove what I suspected to be true. He was not impressed as I stuck the sterile swabs up his nostrils, but I was able to gather a sample and then encourage him to snuggle back down to sleep , as it was still early.

With my Lateral Flow Test on Tuesday evening, The positive T line had appeared immediately, so I did not need to wait the full 15 minutes to know that I was infectious. So I was delighted when Joshua’s LFT only revealed one line, even when the full time was up. So despite his husky voice, Joshua would appear to be negative yesterday – But I would be very surprised if he remains that way today. He has just been out of bed several times, unsure if he wished to remain in his or my bed. In the end, at 2.30am, I have given him a dose of Calpol – on the assumption that he has a sore throat the same as I started with- and a bowl of warm Weetabix, in case he was hungry. As Joshua cannot tell me how is feeling, I have to play detective and second guess when he is unwell. It may mean that he has Calpol, on occasions, when it is not strictly necessary, but I feel that it is better to be safe than sorry.

When my husband got up, he spotted Joshua’s husky voice and chesty breathing immediately too and I explained that he had had a negative test an hour earlier. After breakfast, my husband tested positive too – he got a very faint T line, compared to mine which was dark and angry looking, but there was no doubting that he was infected now too. My heart sank, I guess it was inevitable when we all live together and were cooped up together in the car on Tuesday , before I knew that I was infected, but I had hoped that the men would escape. So the implications of this test result were :

  • Now nobody could go out; Nobody could take Joshua out anywhere or could nip to the shops for supplies. We had had a supermarket delivery the night before but I had omitted orange juice from my list. This was a big error since I had a raging thirst and was unusually consuming a lot of Joshua’s favourite tipple. I texted a friend later in the day and asked if she could run a mercy mission for us and she very kindly bought and left us four large bottles of juice. I warned her not to approach us and left her the cash outside on a table. When I awoke from my afternoon nap, a good fairy had brought us juice and Calpol that I had requested and I am very grateful for her responsive delivery service.
  • In a family full of poorly patients, who would now be the nurse? As the one who was furthest along ,and the one who was starting to feel better than I had, I slid seamlessly from patient, to cook and nurse for all of us yesterday.
  • This now means that the poorly period is extended : while I am hopefully coming to the end of my illness, and I was hopeful that my normal life would return next week. We are probably looking at another week of isolation due to the boys illness now. Potentially, another week of cancellations and no daycare could be on the horizon. Of course we will do whatever is necessary to get everyone healthy again, but it is disappointing to say the least.
  • On the positive side, as I like to search for silver linings in most situations, it means that I no longer need to keep my distance from Joshua . If he has already contracted Covid from me, then I no longer need to avoid him or hold my breath around him, and normal caring service can be resumed.

Knowing how good the morning’s fresh air had made me feel yesterday, when Joshua was restless in the afternoon, unsure what to do with himself, I wrapped him up warm. To his delight, we walked to his pod in the field where we sat , snuggled under a fleecy blanket for about 15 minutes. The sky was blue but the air was chilly. We slid into Pod games which include eating Ritz crackers, listening to YouTube and throwing ball for Kevin the Jack Russell. Joshua enjoyed this treat but I knew he was not 100%, as he soon asked to go indoors again, by waving at Pod. It is only a short walk back to the house, but he needed to lie down on the settee again once he returned.

So our Covid-19 adventure continues…..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s